We are still catching up with work,home chores,and ofcourse all the unpacking.We finally received our missing bag. According to the NorthWest Airlines the bag was sent back to Amsterdam after we checked it in Detroit after going through the customs. I wonder why? Anyways, I was elated to get the bag because thats where the stash of german choclates were put :)
There is a week long "Apple fest" going on in my office. I wish I had a little more spare time and I could participate on all days. On Sunday I wasn't feeling too well. So Rahul did not let me step into the kitchen. But on Monday I made "British style apple chutney" and on Tuesday I made this soup. This soup was not the first choice. I wanted to make the "Apple Squash soup" but someone else brought it on Tuesday. I decided to make "Chipotle Chicken-Corn-Apple chowder". This soup is one of my favourites - thick creamy soup bursting with flavor and nutrition. It is very low fat and does not require any heavy cream or cream cheese. It also doesnot require store bought broth becuase all the flavor comes from the cumin and garlic.One happy meal!!
2 cups frozen Corn, thawed
1 cup chicken,small cubes ( You can replace chicken with your fav cooked beans if you are a vegetarian)
2 medium size Apples,cored and chopped. I did not peel the skin (I used the red delicious variety)
1 medium size onion,finely chopped
1 Tbsp Garlic,finely chopped
1 cup mini red peppers,finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro,finely chopped
3 dry Chipotle chillies
1 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Cumin powder
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
2 cups water (more or less to get the desired consistency)
salt to taste
1. Heat a stockpot on medium flame. Add 1/2 tbsp oil. Now add onion and saute till it becomes soft.Now add garlicand saute till it turns light brown.
2. Now turn the heat to the lowest level. Add the chillies and saute again for about a minute.
3. Add 1 cup of corn and saute well for 2 minutes. The corn changes color and looks golden brown.Now add the apples, cumin powder and stir well. Close the stockpot with a lid and let the mixture cook for about 3 minutes.
4. Switch off the heat and add 1 cup of water and let the mixture cool.
5. In the mean time heat the remaining oil in a pan.Once the oil is hot add the chicken.Once the chicken is cooked add the garlic powder. Saute for about 3 minutes.
6. Puree the corn apple mixture in batches and transfer the puree to the stockpot.
7. Place the stockpot on a medium flame and add the cooked chicken. If the consistency is too thick add some water. Let it simmer for about 5 mins.
8. Add the remaining corn to the soup.Keep about 1/4 cup of mini peppers and 1tbsp cilantro aside for garnishing and add the rest to the soup.Add the lemon juice too.
9. Add salt to taste and taste the soup.Adjust the spices (cumin/garlic powder) to your taste.
10.Garnish with peppers and cilantro and server hot.
Printer Friendly Recipe