Saturday, October 10, 2009

Carrot chikki - carrot fudge with mixed nuts

There were a bunch of carrots lurking in the vegetable crisper.Last week I made Gajar Halwa for friends and wanted to make something to share with my German colleagues.We have tasted the best cakes,pastries and fine German chocolates here.I thought some finger food would be convenient.Also I wanted to participate in the "Microwave easy cooking" event hosted by Suma.After some brainstorming I set to whip up a carrot chikki using the microwave. Studies have shown cooking in the microwave retains vitamins and anti-oxidants better than the stovetop cooking.I realized it would not be necessary to use any oil.Voila!Why not make it a little more healthy? Why not add some nuts,flax seeds and replace the white sugar with the goodness of jaggery? Luckily the experiment was not a disaster.I liked the chewy and healthy treat."Good Ja (read "Ya")" is what my German collegaue said in his very German style.I guess that's a compliment :)

Ingredients:
2 cups grated Carrots
1 Tbsp grounded flax seeds
2 Tbsp dry desiccated coconut (sweetened will work too)
2 Tbsp roasted peanuts,chopped finely
4 Tbsp mixed nuts - almonds,walnuts,pistachios,chopped finely
5 Tbsp grated jaggery
4 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cardamom





Method:
1.Mix carrots,coconut and ground flax seeds well in a microwave safe bowl.


2.Cook the mixture in the microwave for 5 minutes.Now add milk and cook for another 5 minutes.

3.Take the bowl out of the microwave.Make sure you use mittens.Stir the contents well.Add peanuts,nuts,spices and jaggery and stir well again

4.Put the bowl back into the microwave. Cook for another 10 minutes.By now the mixture is sticky.


5.Spray oil on a plate and pat the carrot mixture with a spatula on to the plate.Let it aside about 5 hours



6.Cut into bit size pieces and enjoy.


Since this is such a healthy snack I sending it to the Health Nut Challenge.



Printer Friendly Recipe

6 comments:

Suma Gandlur said...

Thanks Sheetal for the lovely, healthy version of Chikkis. They look awesome.

Sheetal & Rahul said...

Thanks Suma.

Pari said...

Hi Sheetal, I am visiting first time. You have a nice collection of recipes dear. The carrot chikki is very healthy and new to me.I love the casserole.
Do find time to drop by. I am following you so that I do not miss your posts. Good start dear.

Sheetal & Rahul said...

Pari, Thanks for the nice words. I love your blog too :)

Yasmeen said...

Oh sheetal! this is a fantastic snack,bet kids will love it too.thanks for sending them over to me :D

Sheetal & Rahul said...

You're Welocme Yasmeen. I am a healthnut and I enjoyed teh chikki's. I hope you'll love them too :)